Summer Internships from
Back to HEA
Higher Education Alliance
The Humpty Dumpty Institute's Summer Internship Program at various UN missions and NGOs affiliated with the United Nations is a summer internship program that gives graduate and advanced undergraduate students the opportunity to gain experience and develop skills to serve them in the pursuit of international careers. The Institute is one of only a handful of organizations around the nation that offer this type of internship.
All of these unpaid internships will be in New York City. Students will be required to follow the rules specified by each internship provider. The internships are very rigorous, requiring a commitment of at least 6 weeks, but preferably 8 weeks, and will often go beyond business hours. Each Mission will specify the exact time frame of the internship before the internship begins. Every intern will be evaluated by their HDI internship supervisor. Evaluations will then be submitted to HDI to review during the period specified by the Mission. Students will also be held to a strict code of conduct during the course of their internship. All participants will be presented with a Certificate of Internship Completion at the end of the program and be granted the option to receive with a letter of recommendation based on their performance during the internship. The internships are unpaid but course credit is available, if offered in coordination with the intern’s academic institution. Students are responsible for covering the cost of their own accommodations during the duration of the internship.
- All students must submit a resume, statement of purpose and writing sample.
- One letter of recommendation from the academic institution applying from.
- Have demonstrated an interest in international relations, political science, public relations or a related field.
- Applicants must currently be a student at one of the Higher Education Alliance Member institutions. However, occasionally we will make exceptions to this rule and allow students who are not part of an HEA program to participate.
- The Mission of Dominican Republic to the United Nations, Fluency in Spanish required.
- The Mission of El Salvador to the United Nations, Fluency in Spanish required.
- The Mission of Rwanda to the United Nations
- The Mission of Jamaica to the United Nations
- The Mission of Vanuatu to the United Nations
For information on HEA internships or how your school can join the HEA, please contact Steve Ginther at 1-917-941-3040 or firstname.lastname@example.org